Posted by: M.J. Bolstad | November 14, 2013

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun: Day #6

The ocean is one of my favourite places to be.

The ocean is one of my favourite places to be.

Well, another day has come and gone. Little Miss P. is still doing the teething thing, and I just want to say, to all the parents out there, I do not know how you do it. Miss P. is a happy, healthy baby and usually pretty independent, but when she’s teething I wonder if BFF needs me to rub her with a dryer sheet, the baby is so clingtastic. If this is what an independent baby is like, I can’t imagine how anyone gets through it when their baby is always clingy.  BFF couldn’t even use the bathroom alone this morning.  Power to all of you who raise children. You are made of stronger stuff than I am.

In any case, despite the clinging monkey of a baby, we had a really good day. In the morning, while I journaled, BFF took Miss P. for a hike.  I made breakfast so we could eat while Miss P. had her snack right on the return, so after bacon, eggs, and yogurt with banana, we could head out.

Collecting shells on Long Beach.

Collecting shells on Long Beach.

We’d decided we would hit Tofino for the day, so we loaded the car right around nap time, and headed out.  It was good timing, and we had a quite ride to Long Beach, where we bought a family beach walk pass.  We explored the beach, both together and alone, and it was really nice to be able to just chill by the ocean.  We might do a little more beach walking today, but this time I’ll wear something I can go barefoot in.  A walk in the sand isn’t quite as nice when you can’t do a little wading. I know it won’t be a long wade – it isn’t exactly summer right now – but I wouldn’t mind doing a little!

The tide was out on Long Beach, so we looked for shells and sand dollars (success on the first but not the second) and I climbed up and down some of the rock formations to see if I could find a starfish or other sea life in a tidal pool. Spoiler alert: I couldn’t.  I did, however, manage to clock my knee pretty hard on the way down from one rock formation.  My shoes lost purchase and I slid into a jutting piece. My tights survived, believe it or not, but I have a slice across my knee that I’ll be putting Polysporin on for the next few days.

Through the trees and back to the car.

Through the trees and back to the car.


After our beach walk, we went into Tofino proper, where Miss P. and BFF had lunch and I had a snack in a cafe called Tuff Beans. I had a fabulous latte and a perfectly gooey cinnamon bun, while BFF enjoyed their Portabello wrap. Miss P. ate stuff we brought her.  We then did some shopping in Tofino. We didn’t get a lot in: a semi had overturned on the highway and took out the power to the town. BFF found a swimsuit and I bought a swim shirt that will come in handy when I go on my next hot adventure (Australia in May is the plan), at 40% off because it is the end of the season. Bonus!  The woman who ran the shop was super nice, too. We chatted quite a while and she was willing to hold our things for us if we didn’t manage to find an ATM with power. There was one by the Pharmacy (but the bank was out, funnily enough), so we were able to get our things and go on. We stopped at the bakery where I grabbed baklava because I have apparently decided to throw all good habits out on this vacation and consume almost nothing but sweets, and BFF grabbed a healthy muffin to share with  Little Miss. P this morning and a Mocha muffin for herself (which turned out to be disappointing).

Me and my true love, the ocean.

Me and my true love, the ocean.

Not disappointing?  Our stop at chocolates Tofino, where the power outage meant their homemade gelato was on sale. I decided to try out their Lavender honey (it was interesting – it wasn’t bad or anything, just not sure it is something I’d try again) and we also got more chocolates because you can never have too many. Then it was back to Terrace Beach.  Miss P. kindly napped all the way so BFF and I got to enjoy the scenery on the way back (the rainforest is gorgeous, in case you were wondering) and then I made butternut squash agnolotti with butter and cheese on top, served with salad.

After dinner and playtime for Miss P., she went to bed (moderately better than last night, though this time baby Tylenol was involved) and BFF and I continued our nightly ritual of sitting in the hot tub, me with my wine and both of us with chocolate ice cream topped with pomegranate seeds. Then off to bed so we’d be ready for today’s adventure!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: